South Elmsall village was known as Ermshale in the days of Edward the Confessor, then variously known as Long Elmsal, Empsal ,Elmsal, and finally South Elmsall. Methodism has had a worthy history in South Elmsall. Services were held at an early date in the cottage of Esau Miles, followed my a malt kiln belonging to Joseph Crossland. Later services were held in the kitchen of Mrs. Burdekin, and then a purposeful Chapel built in 1806. Growth in the size of South Elmsall and the numbers attending the chapel meant that it became inadequate and funds were raised to build new premises
The present building is an attractive neo-gothic Methodist Church built in 1885 and set in equally attractive grounds on Ash Grove, an intersection with the main road from South Elmsall to Doncaster. The architect was Thomas Wilson of Messrs Wilson and Son, of 12 East Parade Leeds. The church was constructed to their specifications, from Elland flagstones and Horsforth sandstone. It is the only public building and place of worship in its neighbourhood, which is on a hill overlooking South Elmsall. It is a prominent community landmark. Its interior has been sympathetically adapted but still retains most of its original features such as wood panelling and pews . Minor modifications took place in the mid 1990s when pews at the rear of the church were removed and a coffee lounge with limited kitchen facilities were installed. The balcony at the rear of the church being closed to public access. In 1912 due to the ever increasing size of South Elmsall, through the discovery of vast coal reserves and housing being built to accommodate the mining families a Primitive Methodist Church was built in the town centre on the Doncaster to Barnsley road. At the end of 2012 the Primitive Methodist Church on the village main street closed after celebrating their 100th Anniversary, and members transferred their membership to Trinity. In 2015 we embarked on a mission to become a church in the community as a church for the community. The result after a few years of soul searching and undertaking several surveys and ascertaining public opinion as to their needs.In 2018 we started on our fund raising campaign to refurbish the church, and took our first strides to become a community church. This was realised by securing additional funding for our Health and Wellbeing project, and through the auspices of the Parish Nurse Ministries UK we engaged the services of a Parish Nurse.